Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Give Thanks to Local Heroes

      On 9-11,2001 America was attacked.  There were more than 3,000 people who were killed that day.  Some were American citizens, some were visitors to this land, some were the first responders to the scene.  Yesterday in Fulton, IL, a town of fewer than 4,000 people, had 2 devistating fires.  Fire fighters from many surrounding communities came to pitch in and assist the local volunteer fire department.  The majority of these other community's fire fighters are volunteers as well.  There were also EMT's and policemen that responded as well.

     I personally had an encounter with EMT's and volunteer firemen after an accident I had on 11-24-81.  If you are a follower of this blog you may have seen in a prior blog that my legs were caught in a corn picker on that day.  I spent 2 hours in that picker.  I had many on-lookers surrounding me.  One was a neighbor lady who was a nurse that eventually put an IV in my arm to replish my fluids after I went into shock. The local volunteer fire department came to my rescue to releas me with the jaws of life. Later EMT's came administer some immediate care and carted me off in an ambulance.  Over the next 7 weeks as I stayed in the hospital I had 8 different surgeries on either leg.  Thankfully the doctors saved both of my legs and by the middle of May I was playing baseball again.  ( I dramatically condensed the details on this event so if you  want more you may ask me so time.)

     As Thanksgiving approaches, we all tend to reflect on the many blessings we have.  Those blessings vary from person to person.  We can be thankful for employment, health, family and friends.  This year I am thankful for all of those things and many more.  I give thanks to God Almighty for each of those blessings.  But this year I want to express my thanks and grattitude to First Responders:  Policemen, Firemen, EMT's, National Guardsmen and our soldiers.  After the 9/11 attacks, our local fires and my own accident, I realized that these people do a wonderful job each day and they deserve all of our Thanks.  So, I Thank You All.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment